6 January 2006

sense & sensibility

If Jane Austen was alive, she would be extremely pleased with how her words have been reinterpreted for the modern day reader.

My friends and me went to watch Pride & Prejudice. We were expecting just a good movie. But we were captivated. The cinematography was breath-taking, the performances compelling and the screenplay was, to say the least, astounding. My humble words will never do justice if I were to describe it to you. Never in recent times has a movie been so engrossing. I have a bladder problem but it had me gripped to my seat for close to 2 1/2 hours. I am in love with Mr.Darcy (yet again).

The language was music to my ears. Then after that we went for a late night sup. Nevermind the language heard then.

The Brits just know how to make a great movie. I guess, unlike the Americans, they aren't driven by the market of posterity. Great actors come first. I have had the great pleasure of seeing many of my idols on stage, Dames Judi and Maggie, Ian McKellen, Rhys Ifans just to name drop a few. The magic of their performances never fail to renew my hope of one day being an actor of unrivalled presense. I've come pretty close I think.

Anyway, it's not that I'm knocking the Americans, but looking back at the history of American cinema, you understand why beauty reigns supreme. Talent a very close second. Up till this very day, looks sell the tickets. A handful of actors make it past that veneer. However, the world subcribes to the universe of stars that make you drool when they appear, a world created by Americans unrivalled by any other movie industry (Bollywood excluded).

I would like to thank the Aussies for Cate Blanchett. Good on ya!

Beauty is the word. How we have fallen for it. We don't often see an 'ugly' actor on film, TV etc. The theory I have is this: The Americans use beauty to mask the crap that happens in their country. Maybe Bush Jr. could learn a thing or two because the mask he wears is downright pathetic.

And now, all we ever dream of is Prince Charming (who looks like Tom Cruise) and Amelia Erheart (Angelina Jolie). Unless our chosen partner for life fits this bill, no one will have a chance in hell of coming close.

Anyone watched Carnivale? Great series (and everyone in it isn't drop dead gorgeous). American, of course, so there may still be a chance for us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a fantastic film and had me at the edge of my seat. And tell me when did the Brit blokes get so freaking hunky?! Phwoooarrrrh!! Pass me someofdat Rupert Friend & Matthew MacFadyen!!

Anonymous said...

Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" is one of my all time fav. My very first copy of this book, purchased during girlish schooldays, still occupies pride of place on my bookshelf....and has followed me wherever I moved. I am glad u derived enough pleasure from the movie to share that joy with yr readers, Edwin. Darcy captivated us with his charm, but I must say Elizabeth's beauty was breathtaking. Keira Knightley has come a long way since "Bend It Like Beckham" days....

As for "Carnivale", it was shown over aussie telly. Was a bit difficult to follow at the beginning, and took me a while to sort out the shadowy bits. But the mystery as well as the mixture of supernatural and charismatic elements kept me going....I must say I got pretty (quote)"caffeinated" ! A fair few teddy bear bikkies were dunked too..

-ccm-

shirlene said...

What do you judge from the first impression of a person? What comes right into your mind? Does first impression really counts?

My case was that, looks used to be the first criteria for my partner. Since the last relationship, I've realised it the unusually hard and painful way that.. it's all about trust and personality. No doubts.

Good day to you edwin
(geez I need a job...sigh)
-bored shir-

shirlene said...

oh yeah, on the subject of being a prince or princess...face surgeries and implants are being done in every parts of the world. All the trouble, pain and money just to alter or fix your body to perfection. Did you know that almost 80% of the Korean women population has undergone face surgeries?