25 August 2007

the week before it began

Independence Day is less than a week away, and as traffic begins to swell on the city's one-way roads, the nation is in full celebration swing. Which poses my question: what are we actually celebrating? Do we even know the actual history of how our nation was born?

Everyone has their own song to sing. The lyrics change with each interpretation. A mellow beat warped into a shrill scream, unheard.

As I sit here, waiting for a batch of laundry to go into spin cycle... Spin cycle. Wet things spinning around until every juice of water is drained from every pore of material. Once its done, I chuck it all in a bucket which I take out to the drying line. Then I wait again. For everything to dry so I can take it to the ironing board. Press. Steam. Everything is fresh as new.

Is that what we're celebrating? The change of the times, the lack of historical truth in our textbooks, what?

Raise a flag. Feel proud.

Where will your flag be in December?

No comments: